Are you eating properly and working out regularly yet not seeing the desired results? If so, you have to adjust your approach to the best diet for your body type.
How and where your body does the fat storage can significantly impact your health and weight. Read on to know how to choose the right diet for your body type.
Why should you consider figuring out your body type?
Look into the mirror, don’t judge yourself, but observe. You could see long limbs and a lanky body, or wide hips with a bit of belly fat, or you could see a muscular body.
A body type doesn’t describe you per se, but if you know where you fit in, it will help you come up with the best diet and workout routine for you.
When we talk about health, finding your body type is essential because it will give you valuable insights into your physical health-related risks and strength.
As mentioned earlier, where and how your body stores the fat is the key as some fat types are harder on your health than other fat types. Also, they all respond differently to various dieting methods.
However, as essential it is to work out, understanding the importance of nutrition is equally crucial. Always remember that you can’t out-train a bad diet, no matter what.
What is eating for your body type, and how does it work?
Eating for your body type will give you clues about your metabolism and hormones, thus, indicating how well you can process the macronutrients. It will help you decide the perfect amount of carbs, fats, proteins, and other nutrients for you.
When it comes to your body, certain common elements suggest the amount of muscle or fat you have. Also, these elements among body types can suggest your rate of metabolism, whether it is fast or slow. Thus, it will help you decide how easy or difficult it will be to lose weight.
There are chances that your body type can be a mix of two body types. Therefore, finding the dominant body type will help you develop healthy habits which will fit perfectly for your body and help you set realistic and achievable goals.
If your regime is based on somebody else’s regime, especially if you both have a different body structure, your results won’t be similar. Thus, a body-type diet will help you realign what you expect.
Here is an awesome video that explains why it is important to identify your body type:
Different body types and how to know which one is yours
There are three main body types. Certain dieting habits, frequent exercise, and metabolic changes by pregnancy and menopause can distort your body type. There can also be other lifestyle habits and factors that could have changed your body, creating a hybrid body type.
So, you need to be patient since you won’t instantly know your body type. If you are not clear about your body type, remember what you looked like during your teen years or early twenties. It can remind you of the natural metabolic state of your body.
Here is a list of different body types with their characteristics, which will help you know your body type.
People with this body type have a long and lean body with some body fat and muscle mass. Ectomorphs have a smaller bone structure, with the shoulders often being narrower than the hips.
Ectomorphs can also find it challenging to gain weight. This body type, therefore, can handle more carbs. Many fashion models and basketballers have this body type.
You are a mesomorph if you have an athletic build with a medium frame and an hourglass figure. Mesomorphs have a strong, solid, and rather muscle-dominant body. Mostly, they aren’t overweight or underweight.
Mesomorphs can generally eat what they feel like eating without worrying about it. If you have a mesomorphic body type, gaining or losing weight won’t require a lot of effort from your side.
Endomorphs have a considerably high level of body fat and muscle mass. They also gain weight quickly. Women with a curvy body are often endomorphs, and so are men with a stocky build. Many football linemen fall under this body type, and they aren’t necessarily overweight.
However, endomorphs can be prone to insulin resistance, which occurs when your cells cannot take glucose effectively, making the pancreas increase insulin production.
It is the main characteristic of type 2 diabetes. Therefore, you need to watch your carb intake if you are an endomorph.
Ecto-mesomorphs typically have a lean but muscular body. The metabolism rate is faster, and burning fat is also easy for ecto-mesomorphs. On the downside, gaining muscle is difficult.
Eating enough calories is essential for ecto-mesomorphs. They generally have a big appetite and eat more than others. They also burn more calories than most other people.
Meso-endomorphs have a strong body, but the definition in their muscles is not that high. Building muscle and retaining it is not a massive problem for meso-endomorphs.
For many, it is the ideal bodybuilding structure since a meso-endomorph has the structure of a mesomorph while also retaining muscle mass like endomorphs. But, they can also gain fat quickly.
Ecto-endomorphs have a pear-shaped body. They are the people whom you call ‘skinny fat’ because they are naturally thin but have gained body fat because of not exercising regularly and following a poor diet.
Ecto-endomorphs usually have a considerably thin upper body with high-fat storage in the lower body, especially the hips and the thighs.
What to eat according to your body type?
Most dieticians, nutritionists, and health experts often recommend foods that are whole and rich in carbs, proteins, and healthy fats. They will differ in the macronutrient ratio, but some foods may better suit certain body types. Here is an example.
An endomorph won’t probably have oats for breakfast because it is best for them to eat fewer carbs according to their body type. Rather than having oatmeal, they’ll consider having scrambled egg whites since they are rich in proteins.
If you are searching for an effective and convenient weight loss plan check our my NutriWise – Doctors Weight Loss Review.
Sample diets for each body type
These diet plans are decided upon the split ratio of macronutrients. It is best for ectomorphs to have a 45-35-20 split of carbs, proteins, and fats. Similarly, it is ideal for mesomorphs to have a fair division between their macros, and a 20-40-40 split works just fine for endomorphs.
- 1-Day Diet Plan for Ectomorphs
Ectomorphs should have a diet that is moderate or moderately high in proteins, low in fat, and high in carbohydrates, according to their 45-35-20 split.
- Breakfast: Oats with fruits and nuts
- Snacks: Protein shake/ nut butter/ rice cakes
- Lunch: Chicken and mushroom stir fry with brown rice
- Snacks: Cheese slice/ hard-boiled egg/ apple
- Dinner: Roasted turkey salad and vinaigrette
Below are the best foods that ectomorphs can consume:
- Meat: Eggs, chicken, turkey, beef, lean steak, shrimps, scallops, white fish
- Fruits and vegetables: All sorts of berries, oranges, mango, banana, cauliflower, asparagus, broccoli, apples, green beans, pears, brussels sprouts, sweet potato, etc.
- Dairy: Fat-free/low-fat yogurt or fat-free/low-fat milk
- Nuts: Almonds, peanuts, pistachios, etc.
- Grains: Whole-wheat bread, oats, brown rice, quinoa, etc.
Tip: Avoid foods with a low caloric density, consume liquid calories, and eat every few hours.
- 1-Day Diet Plan for Mesomorphs
Mesomorphs should consider splitting their macronutrients evenly, but if you need a number, a 40-30-30 split between carbs, proteins, and fats will be more than acceptable.
- Breakfast: Scrambled eggs on toast
- Snacks: Protein shakes/ hard-boiled eggs/ veggies and hummus
- Lunch: Grilled salmon salad
- Snacks: Fruits/ protein bars/ almonds
- Dinner: Chicken breast with roasted vegetables and sweet potato
Here are the best foods for mesomorphs:
- Meat: Salmon, tuna, chicken, turkey, lean steak, eggs
- Fruits and vegetables: All sorts of berries, oranges, avocado, banana, cauliflower, asparagus, broccoli, apples, green beans, pears, brussels sprouts, sweet potato, beans, etc.
- Dairy: Cottage cheese/ yogurt
- Nuts: Almonds, peanuts, pistachios, nut/seed butter
- Grains: Brown rice, quinoa, lentils, etc.
Tip: Divide your plates into one-thirds, i.e., one-third protein, one-third carbs/fats (carbs and fats work too), one-third veggies/fruits.
- 1-Day Diet Plan for Endomorphs
It will be best for endomorphs to stick in the 20-40-40 split range between carbs, proteins, and fats to lose body fat. High-protein and low-carb meals will suit them best.
- Breakfast: Scrambled egg whites with spinach
- Snacks: Protein shakes/ fruits/ veggies and hummus
- Lunch: Quinoa and chopped veggies with chicken breast, tossed with vinaigrette
- Snacks: Peanut butter and carrots/ peanut butter and apples/ pistachios
- Dinner: Sliced steak stir-fry and cauliflower rice
If you are an endomorph, here are the best foods for you:
- Meat: Salmon, cod, chicken, turkey, lean steak, eggs
- Fruits and vegetables: Berries, pears, apples, zucchini, tomato, onions, asparagus, spinach, kale, romaine, sweet potato, beans, etc.
- Dairy: milk, yogurt
- Nuts: Almonds, pistachios, nut/seed butter
- Grains: Brown rice, oats, lentils, quinoa
Tip: Avoid foods that are calorie-dense but not nutritionally rich, and limit white flour and sugar.
The benefits of following a diet according to your body type
First things first, learning about your body type and knowing your category will help you determine the nutrient intake most suitable for your body. Also, if it is your goal, you will lose weight or put on muscle mass most effectively. Here are some more advantages.
- It will save you from extreme diets that won’t work: For instance, a high-carb diet suits best for ectomorphs. If they follow a low-carb diet, not only will it not work, but it can also backfire.
- Provides a reality check on your goals: Because you know your body type, you can sensibly put the time and effort to achieve realistic goals that you have set for your body.
- It helps you realize how to increase your potential and not get bothered by the limitations: For example, endomorphs find it challenging to lose fat. If an endomorph person knows this fact, there won’t be a lot of frustration in that person’s mind. Instead, it will help the person put in the necessary work and tweak things accordingly.
If you are looking to find a new approach for your fitness regime, planning a diet according to your body type is pretty ideal. It helps improve the strengths and work on the weaknesses of your body.
Although no scientific data supports these programs, it is backed by nutritionists and diet experts.
It is highly safe since it focuses on consuming nutrient-rich foods, irrespective of your body type. It creates a balance between your macronutrients and doesn’t eliminate any particular food group.
Name: Noble Woods III
Noble is a native of Chicago and a former active-duty member of the United States Marine Corps, where he served in Operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm. After cutting his teeth in Business Development, Noble founded the successful Investment Banking Intermediary firm NobleCo LLC. Noble is growing into an authority in Micro Private Equity & Digital Marketing.