Do you want to increase your overall muscle mass and improve bone density? We have the best back workouts for women that yield amazing results. Fat burns more calories by boosting your resting metabolism.
A strong and toned back is more than aesthetics for women. The back is the most important part of the body and is often neglected. It is responsible for everything from good posture to connecting the shoulders, hips, and more. In this article, I will help you to know The Best Back Workouts for Women for Amazing Results. I used “for women” because women tend to under-train the back, making it especially important for them to focus on.
W superman is back exercise in which you slide your hands forward a few inches, so they’re in line with your head. What is W Superman exercise good for? This exercise is designed to strengthen and improve stabilization of your lumbar, Back, and hip extensors,” says Dr. Hass. “It’s also a useful exercise for improving strength and stability in your shoulder girdle and upper back musculature”.
Though you may not become a superhero by performing this exercise, you’ll have a super-strong back after adding it to your fitness routine.
How to do W Superman
- Start this exercise by lying down your face with your elbows directly out to your sides and your forearms on the ground in line with the sides of your body.
- Squeeze your glutes by lifting the chest and arms off the floor.
- Do this while squeezing your elbows together behind you. From above, your arms form a “W.”
- Hold for a count.
- In the end, slowly return to the starting position.
The superman workout is an effective exercise for all fitness levels. It targets your glutes, lower back muscles, abs, and hamstrings. This exercise will help you build toughness in your glute, back, and hamstring muscles.
Moreover, it complements other core exercises that mainly focus on the abdominal muscles in the front of your body. You may be thinking about how to do it properly and safely to make sure that you’re targeting the right muscles without hurting yourself.
How to do the superman exercise
This workout is excellent for your back. Back exercises can be most effective. It activates your entire body. Superman is a back exercise that you can quickly try today. Here’s how:
- Lie on the floor in a position of facedown and straighten your legs with your arms extended in front of you.
- Keep a neutral position of your head and don’t look above.
- Slowly lift your arms and legs around 5 to 6 inches off the floor or until you feel your lower back muscles contracting.
- Engage your glutes, core, and the muscles between your shoulder blades simultaneously.
- Lift your belly button slightly off the floor to contract your abs.
- Stay consistent on this position for 3 to 4 seconds. Don’t forget to breathe while doing this.
- Now you can lower your arms, legs, and belly back to the floor.
Do pull-ups sound too intimidating? This is a must-try back workout at home that can help you work up to a full pull-up. Superman pull-ups target your glutes and lower back as you raise your legs and arms off the floor.
How to do superman pull-ups
- Lie on the floor in a position of facedown, reaching your arms straight out in front of you.
- Squeeze your lower back and glutes to raise your arms, legs, and top of your chest off the floor.
- Stop at the top, pull your elbows down and back, then reach back overhead.
- Slowly return to the starting position.
Check out this amazing “14 minute back workout”:
Arnold pressed a form of the shoulder press with different movements. This exercise includes a dumbbell in each hand. You can do this workout either sitting or standing. Instead of beginning with the dumbbells above your shoulder, you put each hand in front of your chest while your palm is facing you as if you’re holding a pull-up bar at the top of the movement.
How to do Arnold press
- Hold a dumbbell in each hand by standing tall with feet hip-distance apart.
- Bend your arms and begin with your palms facing your shoulders, like you would at the top of a bicep curl.
- Twist your arms on the way up so that your palms are facing away from you as you press your arms up overhead.
- Ensure to reach full extension where your biceps are touching your ears.
- When you lower back down, rotate your arms.
The swimmer is a back exercise that targets your abs, upper back, lower back, shoulders, glutes, hamstrings muscles. You can make Swimmers workout easier when building up your back and core strength first with T Raise, Laying Back Extension, and Quadraplex exercises.
How to do swimmers
- Lie your face down on the floor by reaching your arms straight out in front of you.
- Squeeze your lower back and glutes to raise your right arm and left leg off the floor.
- Stop at the top and slowly return to the starting position.
- Lift your left arm and right leg off the floor and repeat.
- Pause at the top and then return to the starting position.
Back extension is a type of back exercise that helps build the size and strength in the hamstrings and glutes. It increases lower back strength and muscular endurance. You can be progressed by holding weights or adding band resistance. Unlike a deadlift or squat, this is an effective posterior chain training workout without loading the spine.
How to do Back extension
- Lie your face down on a hyperextension bench, tucking your ankles securely under the footpads.
- If possible, adjust the upper pad so your upper thighs lie flat across the wide pad.
- Leave enough space to bend at the waist without any restriction.
- Cross your arms in front of you or behind your head with your body straight. This will be your starting position.
- No restrictions here, you can even hold a weight plate if you want extra resistance in front of you, under your crossed arms.
- Start bending forward slowly at the waist as far as possible while keeping your back flat.
- Ensure to inhale as you perform this movement.
- Keep moving forward until you feel a light stretch on the hamstrings, and you can no longer keep going without a rounding of the back.
- Don’t round your back as you perform this exercise. The critical thing is that you go as far as your body can without rounding the back.
- Raise your torso back slowly to the initial position as you inhale and avoid the temptation to arch your back past a straight line.
- Don’t swing the torso at any time to protect the back from injury.
The back extension is used to build lower back strength that targets the hamstrings and glutes. It is done on a 45-degree bench with the feet anchored.
Benefits of back workouts for women
Back workouts for women improve bone density, and it has a better range of motion and mobility, which prevents injury and back pain. It will help improve your posture, core strength, and overall muscle mass. Your back muscles are large metabolic muscles. You burn more calories when your strength-trains your back. Lats help move your core and arms.
Back is the foundation of thoracic mobility, which is pretty vital if you’re a woman carrying a car seat or grocery bags. Back muscles are often underworked as women tend to focus on upper body muscles, shoulders, biceps, and triceps. Me, Noble Woods, will help you know that back workouts are essential, especially for women. You can improve your posture and relieve lower back pain by building a strong back!
Which workout is best to do if I have continuous back pain?
If you have constant back pain, then you should do simple exercises. Before performing any workouts, you should speak to your doctor or trainer about your back pain because some practices can be harmful to you. Depending on the pain intensity, some exercises may not be recommended to you, and you need to skip them. Avoid toe touching exercises, sit-ups, and leg lifts.
A few recommended exercises for back pain are:
- Aerobic exercises
- Bird dog
- Knee to chest
What are the common benefits of a back workout?
Back workouts strengthen your back, stomach, muscles and reduce the risk of back pain and injuries. Incorporating proper back workouts in your daily exercise can help you get stronger and fit back, improving your performance in your daily routine.
How to tone the back at home?
Many people think that they need gym equipment. A barbell to deadlift or upright row or a lat pulldown machine to build strong back muscles. These best back exercises effectively target the following:
- Erector Spinae — This is along the length of your spin
- Traps — It starts from your neck and goes to mid-back
- Lats — Lats is the largest muscle, from your shoulder down to your hips
- Rhomboids — mid-back
Can we do back exercises at home without any equipment?
Yes! You can do your back workout at home. The best part is it will take a couple of minutes to complete your exercises. You don’t need any equipment or weights to do these exercises. We are sharing five simple yet effective activities that you can do at home and achieve a strong core by practicing them:
- Cobra pose
- Cat stretch
- Kneeling extension
You should work out regularly to have a strong back that is imperative for women of all ages to perform daily tasks with good form while preventing injury. If you perform exercises that target and strengthen the back, you will live a healthy life. Back workout helps to:
- Improve and maintain proper posture
- Increase core strength and engagement
- Enhance your shoulder stability
The back muscles are some of the largest muscles in the human body. You can increase your overall muscle mass and improve bone density if you exercise back. These exercises burn more calories and boost your resting metabolism.